Thursday, July 24, 2008

The final leg


It's been great following the Columbia River and enjoying the scenery but I am starting to anticipate our final destination, reuniting with Susan, and touring the city of Portland.
The last stop before Portland is Vancouver, WA, a nice looking town with a station located in a wye track arrangement. I see another train at the station but can't identify it. There is an Amtrak locomotive but the passenger cars have a maroon stripe and the word Cascades on them. I'll see if some online research will reveal the answer.

We leave Vancouver but are almost immediately delayed at a lift bridge that has risen to allow a tug boat to pass under. Forty minutes later we are in Portland! We pass through a yard and I can see the tower for the Portland station coming up. Bill is asking passengers if they need assistance with any luggage. He's provided us with terrific service over the two days and, like me, most passengers tip him as we disembark. Farewell Empire Builder! It was a great ride!

Portland station is busy as a freight rolls through on another track. The station's cavernous interior is nicely maintained and reminds me of the glamor of rail travel from an earlier time.
It's easy to find the baggage department (there are neon signs that say "Baggage"!) and my suitcase is one of the first placed on the counter. For all of the signs and information on my baggage claim tag about needing my ID to claim my bag the department is very casual and I simply take my suitcase and go.

Now that the journey is completed I'm feeling a bit tired from lack of sleep that first night but otherwise feel I've had a wonderful time. I would definitely do it again!!