Sunday, July 20, 2008

North Dakota

I didn't take any photos of North Dakota scenery through my window. Let's face it....its not all that interesting. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of touring the State it is mostly flat plains that never seem to end. The family from Kentucky I joined for breakfast were headed to Glacier Park, the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. They looked at North Dakota's boring landscape with dismay. Low hanging rolling thunderclouds helped break up the monotony for a while but it cleared up later and became brightly sunny. I have to say though it was very green country after a lot of rain this season.

Highlights of the passage through North Dakota:

1. The train stops at Rugby, ND, the geographic epicenter of North America. No kidding. Apparently there is a plaque somewhere in town noting this remarkable distinction.

2. The train stopped after passing a detector that reported we were dragging something. I overheard some talk about a deer carcass being found behind the second unit (locomotive) and the baggage car. This stop took some time and contributed to our now being three hours behind schedule. I saw live deer in the fields and wished them safe passage over the tracks and hoped they'd avoid the fate of their comrade.

3. Approaching Minot, ND we pass a town that reminds me of a model railroad with all kinds of industries right next to each other by the tracks. It had stock yard pens, oil tanks, a lumber company, and a grain elevator, all in close proximity; a switching railroad dream plan in real life.

4. Minot. This is a service stop where we are permitted to get off the train for about 20 minutes. I learn that these stops are "smoking breaks" since no smoking is allowed on the train. Amtrak recognizes some passengers will want to take such breaks and arranged the schedule to allow at least a few along the way. Some of my fellow passengers express obvious relief when these stops are announced. :)

5. I observe small communities that may make great Witness Relocation Program options. :)

6. I feel very comfortable taking time to read the book I brought with me and also take a little nap without fear of missing much outside.

7. We start seeing oil rigs right near the tracks. Apparently a a big oil discovery was made in this region in the 1950s.

Next: We enter Montana and I start taking more photos.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Did you drive through Williston? Perry thinks we should retire there. I say, "Have fun, send me a postcard." I'm sure it's one of those witness relocation towns!

Ralph said...

Hee! hee! I don't recall much about Williston although we did stop there.
I may have been napping or reading at the time! I would have made an effort to check it out if I'd known you were planning to retire there! :)