Monday, July 21, 2008

Montana , Part 1

I forgot to mention that Amtrak provides a magazine in its sleeper car rooms that includes a description of the various station stops and other points of interest along the route. I was intrigued to learn that the last part of North Dakota between Williston ND and Wolf Point, Montana was an area noted by Lewis and Clark and known to Sitting Bull. That, at least, provided some flavor to otherwise boring landscape. It was also around this area that I first saw some small buttes and hills, desert like and wild westy.


This was more like it! I put down my book and started paying attention to my window again. Some of these hills grew larger but eventually the plains became flat again for a while.

I also enjoy a little railroad excitement as the Empire Builder stops at a siding and waits for a hot grain train to pass in the opposite direction. My room was on the right side of the train so other tracks and train movements tended to be on the opposite side. Sometimes I'd leave my room and go downstairs to look out the entry door window if it was likely I'd see other trains or railroad facilities.

The grain train was fast and a bit of a thrill as my window was only a few feet away from the
racing train. I'd hoped to capture a photo of the lead locomotive but it came out as a blur. In my roomette I was at just the right height to be able to (very briefly) see into the locomotive cab as it roared by. Railroad fans may wish to remember to spend time on the left side of the train to see more action like this.

The observation car with its domed windows would be an ideal location for viewing trains and scenery but I found the seats there were always taken and seemed to be permanently commandeered by the same people. I had a couple of meals on the left side of the train and had good views during those times so that's an opportunity to get a different perspective.

No comments: